Macomb County Traffic Lawyers
Our Affordable Traffic Ticket Lawyers Can Help
Justin Vande Vrede is an experienced Macomb County traffic lawyer who cares about his clients, and knows how to offer them the best legal help for traffic tickets – always at affordable prices.
If you are facing a Macomb County traffic ticket, call traffic lawyer Justin Vande Vrede for a free no obligation consultation. He will help you understand the points, fines, penalties and long term consequences of the traffic ticket you have received. And, if a lawyer is necessary to fight the ticket, he will help you get the best possible results for your particular case.
Fighting Traffic Tickets in Macomb County
There is not one simple or easy answer to the question “how do I fight a traffic ticket?” Under Michigan law, some traffic tickets are civil infractions (not crimes) – while other traffic tickets are misdemeanors or felonies (crimes that will give you a criminal record). To complicate matters, different cities and counties (“jurisdictions”) may have different penalties for the same ticket or infraction.
How your particular traffic ticket should be handled will depend upon:
- Where you got the traffic ticket;
- The severity of the traffic ticket (civil, misdemeanor or felony);
- The number of “points” associated with your particular traffic infraction;
- The number of previous traffic violations or criminal offenses you have;
- The effect the traffic ticket will have on your license; and,
- The effect the traffic ticket will have on your insurance.
Depending on the violation, where you got it, and how it is resolved, you may be facing fines and points. You could also be referred to a special program or – in the most serious situations – you could even be sent to jail. And, no matter what the infraction or where you got it, if you do not take care of a traffic ticket, your driver’s license will eventually be suspended.
Our experienced Macomb County traffic lawyers are here to help you understand what your ticket means for you, and to explain the best way to handle it in your situation.
What Are the Points for My Traffic Ticket in Macomb County?
Under Michigan’s point system, each traffic violation has a specific point value, which is set by law across all cities (or “jurisdictions”) in the Michigan Vehicle Code. Points placed on your driving record remain there for two years from the date of conviction. Points will not only result in an increase in your insurance rates, but can also result in your license being suspended.
Below are points for some Michigan traffic tickets:
Michigan Traffic Tickets with Six Points:
- Manslaughter, negligent homicide, or other felony involving use of a motor vehicle.
- Operating under the influence of liquor or drugs.
- Failure to stop and give identification at a crash scene.
- Reckless driving.
- Unlawful bodily alcohol content of 0.08 or more.
- Refusal to take a chemical drug or alcohol test.
- Fleeing or eluding a police officer.
Michigan Traffic Tickets with Four Points:
- Drag racing.
- Operating while visibly impaired.
- Under age 21 with any bodily alcohol content.
- 16 mph or more over the legal speed limit.
- Failure to yield/show due caution for emergency vehicles.
Michigan Traffic Tickets with Three Points:
- Careless driving.
- Disobeying a traffic signal or stop sign or improper passing.
- 11 through 15 mph over the legal speed limit.
- Failure to stop at railroad crossing.
- Failure to stop for a school bus or for disobeying a school crossing guard.
Michigan Traffic Tickets with Two Points:
- 10 mph or less over the legal speed limit.
- Open alcohol container in vehicle.
- All other moving violations of traffic laws.
- Refusal of Preliminary Breath Test (PBT) by anyone under age 21.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Macomb County Traffic Ticket?
Michigan traffic ticket fines and penalties can be confusing. The best way to understand what fines and points you may be subject to – and what other consequences you could face – is to speak to an experienced traffic ticket lawyer in the county where you received the ticket as soon as possible.
An experienced traffic ticket lawyer can explain the penalties you may be facing, as well as help you take immediate steps to avoid long term consequences. Remember, if you do not address a ticket it will only become worse. Failing to address a traffic violation can result in:
- License suspension;
- Insurance cancellation;
- Huge driver responsibility fees; and, even
- A warrant for your arrest.
However, an experienced lawyer who has handled hundreds of traffic tickets can help you avoid the points that will result in increased insurance, license suspensions, and driver responsibility fees. In many cases, investing a relatively small amount of money in an experienced traffic lawyer now can save you thousands of dollars in insurance increases and driver responsibility and license restoration fees later!